Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Giving God the Glory He Deserves

This portion of scripture was part of my devotional reading this morning. 

26 The king answered and said to Daniel, whose name was Belteshazzar, Art thou able to make known unto me the dream which I have seen, and the interpretation thereof?
27 Daniel answered in the presence of the king, and said, The secret which the king hath demanded cannot the wise men, the astrologers, the magicians, the soothsayers, shew unto the king;
28 But there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets, and maketh known to the king Nebuchadnezzar what shall be in the latter days. Thy dream, and the visions of thy head upon thy bed, are these;
29 As for thee, O king, thy thoughts came into thy mind upon thy bed, what should come to pass hereafter: and he that revealeth secrets maketh known to thee what shall come to pass.
30 But as for me, this secret is not revealed to me for any wisdom that I have more than any living, but for their sakes that shall make known the interpretation to the king, and that thou mightest know the thoughts of thy heart.

The thing that struck me almost immediately was in verse 28. King Nebuchadnezzar had had a terrible dream but he couldn't remember it. He sent for all his astrologers and sorcers but NONE could help him. When the Lord revealed to Daniel the dream and it's interpretation, Daniel asked to go before the king. He had an opportunity to make himself look good before the king. BUT, in verse 28, the Bible says that Daniel made sure the king knew that it was the God of heaven that knows all things. Daniel didn't want the credit for God's work. He wanted all to know that it was God who should have the glory.

So many times, I am afraid that we, as believers, want to look good ourselves in the eyes of others, and we don't give God the glory HE deserves. Any good that we are able to do IS NOT OF OURSELVES but only because God made it possible. I see on facebook and other social media sights almost daily where people try to brag on themselves for what they've accomplished (they try to sound humble-but let's face it-if you are the one telling your accolades-it's bragging) We, as believers, should not be lifted up in pride but should always give GOD the glory HE deserves. We can do nothing in ourselves outside of God's mercy and grace. Just a thought from my devotions this morning. 

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Ouch! That's convicting! Fb does lend to us bragging on ourselves. Thanks for the reminder that I need to keep myself in check. I need to post that I can only do good because of God.

Tammy said...

It's a reminder for all of us, really. I think we all have a tendency to want to impress others. ~and I've never seen any of your posts that sound like you're bragging~ ;)

Peggy said...

Very good post!