Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Continue in the Things You've Learned


Well, for a few days, I've been trying to get my mind set
on what I wanted to post about for the beginning of a new year.
I don't want to talk about resolutions or goals really, just some
things that have been going on in my heart. I will start with this
verse, which my husband just so happened to expound upon
this evening during our midweek service. :)

But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of,
knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 2 Timothy 3:14 KJV


In my early adulthood, and in the early years of our marriage, my husband
and I really grew in the Lord. The Lord began to do a work in my heart
and life concerning convictions and standards. Sure, I was raised with
certain convictions~and I am grateful for that. But, I am talking about
when the Lord did the work IN MY OWN HEART. I know the things
that the Lord dealt with me on, and how I fought it...tooth and nail!
I remember the peace that came with relinquishing my will for HIS!
I have experienced, many times, how my life can be a testimony for
my Savior without my ever having to say one word. I have literally had
people come up to me and ask me if I am a christian based on what
they could see. So, while it is TRUE that God looks upon the heart,
the world can't see my heart. I am not judging anyone, every person
must give account of himself to God, but I know what the Lord has
taught me. That being said, in recent days, I've tried to do some soul
searching. Do I want to go the easy way, the way of the world? The
answer is a resounding "NO"! I am determined to continue in the
things that I've learned and been assured of, knowing in WHOM
I've learned them. (emphasis mine)




12 comments:

Tori said...

I needed this, not because I was wavering but because I needed to see someone else who was standing steadfast. I'm with you! God hasn't changed so why should we?

Tammy said...

Thank you so much, Tori, for your encouraging words. I admit, it can be discouraging times. To see people changing with the times. But, you are so right. The Lord hasn't changed, and by His grace, I do not want to either. No matter who else takes the easy way, I don't want to. Thanks again for your comment. It means a lot to me.

Tammy said...

Hi Tammy! So glad to see you posting again. Great post and I agree with you and Tori. I've started a new blog today, this one is a little different than the last one. I just missed blogging too much plus I couldn't leave any comments on my blogs I follow and keep in touch with you all. I'm glad to be back though. Hope you get a chance to check out my new blog.

Cheryl said...

Great post. I agree 100%.

Tammy said...

Thank you, Mrs. Cheryl, for your encouraging words! You are always such a blessing to me!

Peggy said...

Yes, this is great, and I'm with you! I went back on certain standards several years ago...just because I could. I appeared happy with my decision...wanted others to see that as well, but deep down I didn't have peace. By His grace I desire even higher standards for His honor and glory!

Tammy said...

You are so right, Mrs. Peggy! We DO have liberty in the Lord, as we are not under the law, but grace. Still, just as you said, just because we CAN, definitely does NOT mean we should. We can do things but it does not mean it is BEST, and by BEST, I mean what can BEST honor the Lord! Very wisely said, Mrs. Peggy! Thank you for your input!

Brittney Ann said...

I appreciate your post and I agree wholeheartedly. It's good to know that there are still some people out there who are willing to to be different from the world for the glory and honor of the Lord. I hope to instill this into my children. It's sad to see so many changing what they once believed.

Tammy said...

Thank you (Mrs. Johnson?) for your comment. I am glad to know that your family continues to stand where it has always stood. My heart is saddened too as time moves along and less people stay with their convictions. I have been encouraged, though, by how the ones who have stayed true to them. We miss ya'll. Hope all is well.

Tammy said...

Of course, it stands to reason, that what one considers to be a "conviction" may not really be in the hearts of some. A true "conviction" cannot be changed or justified so easily. When the Lord was "convicting" my heart in certain areas of my life, it was a trying and growing time. In no way, would I ever go back to what the Lord changed in me. So, maybe if someone can turn away from it, it might not have ever been THEIR OWN conviction. I do appreciate when children are respectful of their parents convictions and standards but if it is ever going to really STICK...the Lord will have to eventually do the work in the individual's heart. Just some thoughts...

Cheryl said...

It can be easy sometimes to forget why you gave up, stopped doing or started doing something for your continued growth in the Lord. I have recently written down some convictions that I know the Lord has dealt with me in, and I plan to look over them from time to time to remind myself of why I do these things. God gives you such peace when you finally let go of your own wants and let Him have His way in your life, but I forget so easily and have to be reminded to "Continue in the Things You've Learned". These items are set in stone and no one is going to stop me or persuade me otherwise. God knows best!

Tammy said...

What a great idea, Mrs. Cheryl! For the times when we are tempted or the devil questions us, it's a great idea to be able to go back and see right how the Lord got you through it! I love that!