Thursday, September 1, 2011

Back to School

Well...it's that time of year! Time to get "back to school".

HOMESCHOOL, that is. :)

Here is a smiling Emily...and don't let that smile fool you...she really wasn't

all that happy at the moment. (She was doing Math) ( and just

for the record, she is GOOD in Math, she just doesn't ENJOY it)

She prefers READING to CYPHERING, so to speak.



We are switching to Saxon math this year, having used

ACE since kindergarten. We are still using ACE in most

of her other subjects (with the exception of Spelling, in which

we use Abeka) She is an excellent student. She does very

well academically, both in her school work as well as on

standardized testing.

I have listened to a lot of arguments concerning ACE versus

other curriculum, and I understand their points. (ACE

DOES start out slowly, progressing much more after say, 5th grade)

That does not bother me, though, because, as I said, Emily does

VERY WELL on the standardized testing...WHICH IS NOT BASED

ON CURRICULUM BUT ON NATIONAL GRADE LEVEL MATERIAL.

So, to put this to rest once and for all...I LOVE ACE, it has

taught my daughter well. It is manageable, as far as it not

taking MY whole day...it being designed for the student

to learn from the curriculum. I just have to oversee her work,

be sure that she is being quizzed properly

and understanding the concepts.

PLUS, it is very affordable, much for affordable than

some of the others.

One of the very nicest things about homeschooling is that

one has the freedom to use various means and methods to teach

their children, to insure the best education for them.

And of course, every parent must choose the method that

best works for them. It's our choice! I guess the

thing that BUGs me, at times, is that

ACE gets criticized...before all the facts are in.

You can't (correctly) make an assumption based

on the early years...one must look at the WHOLE picture.

How well do these students do when they go to college?


Most of the ADULTS that I know (who were ACE educated) that have gone to

college have done exceptionally well.

Anyway, whichever curriculum you choose, it is

a blessing and honor to still have the freedom that

we have in our country to be able to educate our

children in our homes.

(Aside from kindergarten, Emily has never been taught

by anyone else outside our family)

She will be taught to live by our standards and convictions

until she goes to college or gets married. And by then, LORD willing,

she will have grown in the LORD spirtually enough that she can

stand strong in her faith ON HER OWN.


This is our ultimate goal~ that she love the LORD with all her

heart and live for Him all the days of her life.



Wow! I don't know where all that came from...was only planning to

post a pic! lol :)


But, there you have it...


9 comments:

Tori said...

How fun, we started a few weeks ago knowing that we will be taking breaks every so often for ministry.
Don't know about ACE, never used it because of the negetive taste I had after all I had heard about it. LOVE Saxon, except their high school math. We switched from Saxon to Teaching Textbooks in 9th grade and we SUPER LOVE it.
We use Landmark now and we really like the strong Baptist flavor, we never have to worry about "what else" they are teaching along with academics.
Anyhow, it's quiet here since the kida are doing school so I thought I would check in on ya. Have fun!!

Peggy said...

You know I'm withya 100%! Praise the Lord, it works!! I'll always be an encourager of home/Christian schooling! Never give up!! I know you won't:)

Jessica said...

Hi there! I use a mixture of all kinds of different curriculum, and boy have I heard it all! I have used ACE, Abeka, Bob Jones, Apologia, Saxon (not a fan, lol, but I hope it works great for you!) and Rod & Staff. They each have their strengths and their weaknesses. I usually buy my books used, so I get what I can get for a good price. There are some brands that I will look for above others depending on which subject it is. Both of my girls learn differently, so I purchase accordingly. I have often heard the infamous phrase "I only use Abeka because Abeka is the best!I would NEVER use anything else!" ;) Two things I have learned. 1. My children will learn only what they want to learn. I can try to cram it down their throats all I like, but if their heart isn't in it, I have wasted my time. My girls are not fond of Abeka English, so I do not buy it. 2. I have learned to keep my mouth shut about what curriculum I use. I have been looked down upon by other parents because of what I use. I have had people try to argue with me about it. CRAZY! It is none of their business how I teach or what I use. I pray you have a great home school year! Bless you!

Scott and Kristan said...

Feeling a little 'preachy' today, huh? Just kidding :-) It was all good. I've always loved ACE myself, but my kids just don't seem to be doing well with it, so I had to do something different. Jonathan, Joy and I did very well with it, but I guess just like everything else, it's not for everybody. I will be using some of the concepts and actually some of the paces for textbooks, but so far, I've only paid like $20 for my stuff this year..woo hoo! And tell Emily she looked very pretty in her math picture...Ryder hates math, too :) Love ya ~ Kristan

Becky said...

Well Said is all I have to say!

Tammy said...

Wow! What a lot of comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I would like to clarify...I am not saying that ACE is a perfect curriculum...just that it is a good one. There are many good ones out there. We have used Abeka in various ways, and plan to do so again. This is our first year with Saxon but I expect we will like it fine. My main point, I suppose, was that it gets a little wearisome to have to be ALWAYS defending our choice of ACE.
And, I do realize (having worked in an ACE school and worked with students of different learning styles) that ACE may NOT be the best choice for everyone. Some students (like me) are very visual learners. I do much better when I can "see" it worked out, not just by reading it. **Even in sewing, I never "read" the pattern, I just look at which part they want you to work on next and go from there.

Anyway...thanks again for all the comments. I am not by nature a "controversial" person and "stirring things up" is never my intent. It was interesting to hear your thoughts. I love you all!

Cheryl said...

For your child to be successful in school doesn't depend on what curriculum they use, but on how devoted and diligent you are daily with your student. Homeschool parents tend to be hard on each other. All parents want to believe they are doing the very best for their child. They believe if a particular curriculum isn't working for them it must be the curriculum's fault. All kids have different needs, likes and dislikes. One of the key benefits of homeschooling is that you can create a program that fits the learning style of each child.

Jessica said...

Great comments!!!

Sarah said...

This will only be my second year of using ACE, but so far i love it. Coming out of a public school system into ACE was a massive change, but a good one. I feel like i did very well with it last year and i can honestly say i learned more last year than the nine years i was in public school in Bible, History, and Science and it suits my family's needs. What i love most about it is the Bible classes i'm being offered.. I learned alot about the New Testament last year and this year i'm studying the Life of Christ.