Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Has It Really Been 25 Years?

Twenty-five years ago today, two very young people decided
to unite their lives to become one flesh. These two young
people were probably very immature and idealistic and had no idea
really what the years would hold, but they did love the Lord
and wanted to have a home that reflected that. Today,
twenty-five years later, I realize just how little we did
know about life. BUT, the Lord has been good, and has
saw us through much more than any single blog post
could hold. During those years, we have faced a lot of
things. My honey was called to preach, he pastored
a couple of churches for a brief time, we made some
dear friends, he preached evangelistically in several
churches, he became a youth director at a church the
Lord moved us to, we learned to TRULY love young
people and realize how much the devil is out the trap
them, we left our home church to pastor a new church
after almost ten years, we learned to call this new
church "home", and learned to TRULY love this new
congregation in the same way we had loved our other
church, we have watched the Lord add to us in number,
sending us many new friends. We also faced infertility
in a very REAL way, not for a few weeks or months,
but for FOURTEEN years. We were told OVER and OVER
that we would never have biological children. After
fourteen years, the Lord miraculously blessed us
with a beautiful baby girl. We have loved the years
that she has been in our home. Twenty-five years!!!
So much has happened. We have had joys, tears, trials,
blessings, valleys, mountains, good times, bad times,
lean years, and less than lean years, times when it
was easy to walk by faith, times when it was
truly necessary to just believe, because we couldn't
see what the answer would be. Our lives have
gone through many changes, moves, and new beginnings.
But, ONE thing, that has never changed in all those years,
is the LOVE that we have for one another and the love of
the Lord. (that sounds like two things, but in reality,
they are synomous, we couldn't love each other without
the love of the Lord) We have faced some hard things,
but our love has only grown stronger. I am sooo thankful
for this good man the Lord blessed me with. I admit,
that as a young girl, I didn't realize the importance of
praying for the right mate. I am ever so grateful that
the Lord blessed me, despite myself. Bret has been a
wonderful husband. He has loved me, taught me, and
been patient with me. He has been the kind of husband
the Bible teaches to be, he has been the head of our home,
spiritually, first and foremost, and also physically. He
has always been a good provider. He has worked hard
and sacrificed, so that we could have the things we need
and MANY things that we want. He is a GOOD man,
a GODLY man, who loves the Lord with all his heart.
I am a blessed woman, indeed, to be a companion and
helpmeet to him. Emily has been blessed to have
him for a daddy. Truly, our home has been blessed.

Bret and I on our wedding day
July 14, 1984

We had a double wedding
Bret and I with my sister Holly and her husband, Steve

Our family



The wedding party




7 comments:

Peggy said...

I am thankful with you for your good home for the Lord. You are a precious family and I'm SOOO glad the Lord has brought us to you. We have been blessed and encouraged more than you'll ever know!

April said...

Happy 25th Anniversary!

Brittany said...

Congratulations on your 25th Wedding Anniversary!

Lori said...

Happy Anniversary! The bridesmaids dresses look like the one I wore for my brother's wedding in 1985. Ours had long sleeves.

Becky said...

I can't wait to someday say that Jonathan and I have been married for 25 yrs. That is so wonderful! I am also thankful just as my mother-in -law said that God has sent us to you. You have been a help, an encouragement, and a dear friend and I thank the Lord for you all!

Susan said...

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary! I think 1984 was a good year - we got married that year too! ;)

Tammy said...

Congratulations! That is a rareity in this day and age. We are coming up on our 23rd - in November. Thanks for sharing.